Although epilepsy surgery has been used to treat epilepsy that does not respond to medication for many years now, little is known about its long term success. Now researchers in the UK have looked at the improvement rates long term. Antiepileptic medication helps approximately 70% of people diagnosed with epilepsy but ‘hard to treat’ or intractable epilepsy affects the remaining 30%.  For these people alternative therapies need to be sought, one of which is surgery.  Surgery may be appropriate in cases where the part of the brain responsible for the origination of the seizure can be precisely identified and carefully removed.  This new research has discovered that 38% of people remained seizure free after 10 years and even amongst those who still had seizures, almost 75% were significantly improved.  In addition the rates of success were found to vary according to the type of epilepsy diagnosed and the different kind of surgery required.  Whilst the research has offered valuable insights it has left some questions unanswered such as whether the surgery itself ‘cures’ the epilepsy or if it enables the medication to work.  The researchers also want to  investigate whether a reduction in seizure activity also impacts on the ‘quality of life’ of the individual.To read more about the research click here: